William Jones was born circa 1791 and was from Denio. On 18 May 1812 he married
Elinor Jones in the Parish of Llanystumdwy, Caernarvonshire. Elinor was the daughter
of John and Jane Jones and was baptised in Llanstumdwy on 29 May 1791. William and
Elinor lived in Pwllheli and had eight children. The second eldest, William Jones
was baptised on 2 April 1815 in Denio Parish Church.
William died in Quay, Pwllheli on 23 July 1874 and Elinor died in Quay on 7 January
Some additional information known about the children of William and Elinor is as
- Mary had an illegitimate child called Robert before marrying a seaman called John
Thompson. Robert was called Robert Thompson and had nine children.
- Edward was a shoemaker and married Margaret Jones of Criccieth.
- Morris was a seaman/fisherman. He married three times and ended up in the workhouse.
- Hugh was a seaman/fisherman. He married Frances Roberts the daughter of Edward Roberts
William Jones was born in Pwllheli, Caernarvonshire and was baptised on 2 April
1815 in Denio Parish Church. On 13 August 1847, he married Anne Jones, the daughter
of John Jones, a nailer. William and Anne then lived at Penrhydlyniog, Pwllheli,
Caernarvonshire. William seemed to start and finish his career as a tailor, but
spent some time in-between as a fisherman. In 1861 He was living in Penlan Street,
Pwllheli and in 1871 in Gadlys, which is also in Pwllheli. This was where Robert
Jones, their youngest child was born was born on 22 March 1873.
Anne died on 1 June 1889 and was buried in Denio Parish Churchyard on 4 July 1889.
William died on 9 October 1896 and was buried in Denio Parish Churchyard on 13 October
Some additional information known about his Children is as follows:
- Richard was a fisherman and moved to Penrhydlinog after marrying Jane Thomas in
1876. They had three children before Richard died in 1881. Jane re-married and had
a further four children.
- Jane married Robert Williams and then moved to Porthmadog.
- John was a clog maker. He married Ellin and lived in Lley Street. He died in 1886
- Ellen had two children before marrying William Rowlands with whom she had another
two children. William died in Ty Wyn in 1932 and Ellen in 1935
- Grace moved to Liverpool and married Thomas Stokes.
- It is believed that William (b. 1870) went to Llanfrothen and worked as a granite
Robert Jones was born on 22 March 1873 at Gadlys, Pwllheli, Caernarvonshire. On
17 April 1897 he married Elizabeth Thomas from Nefyn, Caernarvonshire. Robert’s
occupation was a plasterer. After marrying they lived at 1 Back Caernarvon Road,
Pwllheli, but on 17 April 1899, their second daughter Catherine Jones was born in
Well Street, Nefyn (The same street as Elizabeth). Robert was now working as a slater
The family moved south to Abercynon, Glamorganshire, and Robert started working
down the coal mine as a sumper.
Robert died on 30 December 1943 and Elizabeth died on 12 August 1949. Both are buried
at Abercynon Cemetery.
Catherine Jones was born on 17 April 1899 in Well Street, Nefyn. She spent the early
years of her life living in Pwllheli, before the family moved south to Abercynon,
Glamorganshire. During the First World War she worked in a munitions factory in
Birmingham. On 26 December 1929 at Penuel Chapel, Pontypridd, Glamorganshire she
married David Davies, a coal miner, who also lived in Abercynon.
I would like to thank David Wyn Roberts for providing the information about William
Jones 1791 and his family; and also for providing significant information about
the siblings of Robert Jones.